My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Roy Montgomery

The first of my NZ reviews. I'm starting with Roy Montgomery's Temple IV not to avoid Flying Nun off the bat, but because it's handy. I'm not too sure what to do with this album. I'm interested in the sounds he's creating, particularly because he doesn't seem to use many effects (or at least he uses them subtly). "Jaguar Unseen" even contains a guitar part that sounds like I plugged my electric directly into my old Tascam 4-track.

Montgomery does a great job constructing his instrumentals without relying on crescendos, like every post-rock group out there (esp. Constellation bands). He's a little drone-y without fitting into the shoegazer category. The only problem with the record comes when Montgomery goes on for too long (as on "She Waits on Temple IV" and "Above the Canopy"). I like repetition, but those two tracks way overdo it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

I leave the bio to MSN, but here's an interview worth reading from Perfect Sound Forever. So Montgomery's super low-tech (as he sounds), even using a "supermarket guitar."

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the nature of Roy is layers so yes there is repetition but if you simply do a little info dive on roy you will find he's a bit of a perfectionist. not to mention he is doing something that has not been done before. Your review is 9-10 years after the release, he has inspire a multitude of musicians, not exactly sure who you are but i imagine you have not had the same affect on the number of people that roy has. your critique is short sighted not even paragraph. Load some of your stuff for comparison so its a far comparison otherwise leave your snobbery to the guns and roses forum or slashes snake pit or what ever you think guitar music is suppose to be.

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home