My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Roy Montgomery

The first of my NZ reviews. I'm starting with Roy Montgomery's Temple IV not to avoid Flying Nun off the bat, but because it's handy. I'm not too sure what to do with this album. I'm interested in the sounds he's creating, particularly because he doesn't seem to use many effects (or at least he uses them subtly). "Jaguar Unseen" even contains a guitar part that sounds like I plugged my electric directly into my old Tascam 4-track.

Montgomery does a great job constructing his instrumentals without relying on crescendos, like every post-rock group out there (esp. Constellation bands). He's a little drone-y without fitting into the shoegazer category. The only problem with the record comes when Montgomery goes on for too long (as on "She Waits on Temple IV" and "Above the Canopy"). I like repetition, but those two tracks way overdo it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Quigley Quagmire said...

Or do they underdo it? Sometimes there is just too much diff and not enough rep. Can we get a little biography here? Who is this yutz?

3:50 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

I leave the bio to MSN, but here's an interview worth reading from Perfect Sound Forever. So Montgomery's super low-tech (as he sounds), even using a "supermarket guitar."

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home