My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Again with the Fiction

Due to popular dissent, I gave Spoon's Gimme Fiction a more dedicated listen. My initial response to the album was "It's good, but boring in spots." I now have a higher opinion of it, but I'm still not getting what the fuss is all about. It's a quality album, certain to make my year-end top-40, but there are too many dud tracks for me to really get into it. Are all you fans really playing this start-to-finish everytime?

My skippers: "Two Sides," "The Delicate Place," and "Was It You". The ones that really stick with me as standouts: "Beast...Dragon," "I Turn My Camera On," and "Mathematical Mind" (which was awesome live).

I can't stand by my earlier thoughts of boringness, though. There's a low level intensity that grinds throughout the album, and Gimme Fiction as you'd expect from Spoon, shows a great deal of craft (one of my favorite moments is the way the piano plays on that chord change at the beginning of "Beast" -- it comes out of nowhere but sounds perfect).

So give one to the Spoon-ers in that my opinion of the album has gone up (even if I stick with my somewhat-flippant 3.5/5 rating). I'd rank this one below Kill the Moonlight but above Girls Can Tell.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

But Girls Can Tell was better than Kill The Moonlight!

I'm listening to KtM right now, and while it's got a few stunners (seriously, why isn't "Vittorio E" absolutely everywhere?), most of it I find pretty boring. Whereas GCT is in my opinion one of the best-paced albums I own. I haven't heard Gimme Fiction yet, although I've got some songs on my computer (haven't heard them yet either), and I'm in no real hurry.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

I sense a full-catalog revisit...

And by full-catalog, I mean last 3/5...

9:25 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Hey, A Series Of Sneaks is damn good too. I haven't heard the debut.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

That's what I hear. Investigation forthcoming...

4:42 PM  
Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

My love for JV/Solter production work is well known. Perhaps after another 100 listens these tracks will grow on me...

8:42 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Do people really compare Daniels vocally to Lennon? To me, not even something like "1020 AM" sounds like Lennon. I agree his voice is marvelous, though.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

I just heard from a friend who said the whole album reminded him too much of the Beatles for his taste. I am utterly lost.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site Nude picks of pamela anderson redhead amateurs

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home