My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Monday, September 13, 2004

Rilo Kiley

The new Rilo Kiley album is generating plenty of discussion. Robert Christgau's even written not one but two columns on it.

I'm not sure what the fuss is about. More Adventurous is certainly a strong album -- one of the best pure pop albums I've heard in a while -- and easily the most accessible CD I've added to my collection in a while. What it isn't is groundbreaking. But that's fine by me, every now and then it's good to throw on something simple and just feel it. Singer Jenny Lewis has a great delivery (and if critics want to claim it's over-the-top, they'll just be wrong) and the band has a some smart lyrics. The first half of the disc reminds me of all the groups I used to see in college (only RK is far, far better), but the second half fades off in its folk-rockingness. It doesn't get bad, just not as good, and I'll take the first 3 or 4 songs anytime.

Click here for some samples.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home