My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

New Releases This Week

Bear Vs Shark -- Terrorhawk (Equal Vision)
Kevin Blechdom -- Eat My Heart Out (Chicks on Speed) 1-3.5/5
Caitlin Cary and Thad Cockrell -- Begonias (Yep Roc)
Ry Cooder -- Chavez Ravine (Nonesuch)
Embrace -- Out of Nothing (Lava)
Brian Eno -- Another Day on Earth (Rykodisc)
Fat Joe -- All or Nothing (Atlantic)
Jason Forrest -- Lady Fantasy EP (Sonig)
Girl Friday -- Swimmer (Get Fresh) 2.5/5
The Hotel Alexis -- The Shining Example Is Lying on the Floor (Broken Sparrow) 3/5
John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers -- Road Dogs (Eagle Rock) 3/5
The Orange Peels -- Circling the Sun (Parasol)
Partyline -- Girls with Glasses EP (Retard Disco) 2.5/5
The Pernice Brothers -- Discover a Lovelier You (Ashmont) 3/5
Michelle Shocked -- Threesome (Mighty Sound) 4/5


PS - If anyone can confirm a release date on the new Stevie Wonder, please let me know. I've found listings for May and two Tuesdays in June.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that it's been postponed indefinitely (again). He's reportedly back in the studio fixing some stuff. This is the second time it's been delayed; originally slated for release a year ago.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

Argh! I was supposed to review this a year ago, and was told then that it was delayed because he wanted to add a special track after Ray Charles's death.

This excessive fiddling can only mean one thing -- it isn't any good.

The single's out, so I need to just track that down to satisfy my Stevie craving.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The single's pretty good...it's got a classic Stevie groove. I think you can hear it at his website or Motown's website. Not as good as his '70s stuff, but it gives me hope for the album.

His '70s output is some of my favorite music ever, so I'll always hold out hope for his new releases. (But you're right, the delays aren't a promising sign.)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Why so variable on Blechdom?

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know I'd relieved you of your reviewing responsibilty, Justin, but I'll do you proud.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

No, Alf -- I was relieved at PM in the year-long disc shuffle. I'm looking forward to your review, though.

Full post on Blechdom this afternoon (for Ian)...

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home