My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Tall Dwarfs -- Weeville

Back to the Flying Nun stuff, this time the Tall Dwarfs' Weeville. To me, this group feels like the weirdest of the Kiwi rockers I've come across so far, and I haven't decided yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing. They've got a comfortable pop base, but they go off on some odd tangents (like "Crawl"), and add in some noise tracks, which are generally pretty enjoyable. It's songs like "Lucky" that I don't know what to do with. In theory, I like the oddness, but I'm not sure that I'd ever think, "Oh, I need to go listen to that track." "Bodies" feels like an incongruous number here -- the sudden darkness doesn't sit right amidst the rest of the album. Tracks 10-14 would have made a spectacular EP.


I'll try to wrap up the NZ rock reviews by the end of September. Still to come: the 3Ds, the Bats, more Verlaines/Downes, Kilgour solo, and, of course, the Clean.