My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Friday, December 03, 2004

Find of the Day: Matthew Shipp

I just listened to my first album by (and the latest from) Matthew Shipp, Harmony & Abyss. Before I heard this disc, I had only the loosest sense of what he was all about, and I'm happy to have given Harmony a spin. It's a blend of free jazz and electronic elements that works well. The electronics often fade to the back, letting Shipp's stylish piano playing hold center stage, and that's enough to be interesting. When the synths and electronics assert themselves more, it really makes for an intriguing and entertaining sound.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the same guy who did an LP with the Anti-Pop Consortium fairly recently, right?

5:00 PM  
Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

Yeah, it is. What's your take on it, Anon?

5:13 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Ah fuck, that was totally me. I don't have a take on it, I just tend to get Matthews Shipp, Dear and Sweet occasionally mixed up. Even though they sound nothing alike.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

:)
I still have trouble with Jeff Daniels, Jeff Bridges, and Randy Quaid, even though none of them look or act alike.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home