My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The Verlaines -- Ready to Fly

Last post on the Verlaines for the time being:

At first listen, Ready to Fly was a bit of a disappointment. It was poppy and jangly and kind of empty. On my second spin, though, I completely changed my mind. There are some smart lyrics on here, and some exciting drumming with lots of fills. The Tin Pan Alley influence comes out too strongly on this album, but it nearly always works, unlike on Downes's solo album (post forthcoming). I can see this one getting high rotation for at least the next few weeks. While it's not brilliant, it's a very enjoyable record. Top tracks: "Gloomy Junky," "Tremble," and "Hurricane."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » »

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home