My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Monday, October 04, 2004

Weekend at the Symphony

I'm back in town now after a trip up to PA to hear the new piece from Todd Goodman, premiered by the Altoona Symphony. As always, Todd was very impressive. This piece utilized samples of presidential speeches. He had a sort of narrative arc, but the piece was built much more as an emotional reflection on our past 60 years of war, response, and recovery.

Ju-Young Baek performed Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, and I was astonished.

You can't go wrong with Goodman music, but let me recommend Fields of Crimson, mainly because I worked on it and if you buy it I'll get paid. I have no shame, and I'm proud of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

For those of you who read this once and have noticed the comment, please see that I've made an edit. The original said you "can go wrong with Goodman music" when I meant you "*can't* go wrong." The guy's written a string of really remarkable pieces, so I'd hate to have my typo turn anyone off.

(And yes I further confounded things by messing up my initial comment, which I then deleted. Sigh....)

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home