My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Tortured By Joy

I just watched the DVD that came with the December/January issue of The Believer. The short films vary in quality, but there are two that should be of interest to music fans. The first is the video for Lambchop's "Is a Woman." It's only okay, but I'm not a huge fan of the song, so that might have something to do with it.

The other short film, "Tortured By Joy" is 11 minutes of pure enjoyment. Directed by Henry Griffin and described as "redefining 'straight-edge hardcore,' dir. Henry Griffin, the 11-minutes come mostly in still photos with a flat voiceover. It's smart, it's hilarious, and it's about punk, so how can you go wrong? Much like the editor in The Believer, I don't really feel like I can talk about this one without giving away things I'd want to see, so I want say more. Just trust me and take a chance on this one. (And if you don't like it, you'll have a magazine and 6 other films to entertain yourself with, including "Squash," which is one of the more intense pieces I've seen in some time.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

Definitely a good name for a band, especially if you want to raise your audience's hipster quotient.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home