My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Label of the Year

Primarily for my own amusement, I'm going to be handing out awards in categories I make up as I go along. Whoever gives a name to this award will receive a prize that I'll also determine later. Now to start things off...

Label of the Year: Merge Records
It's an easy call this year. They have a head-start on the field with the release of the Arcade Fire's staggering Funeral, but they backed that up with strong outings by David Kilgour (my #14 of the year), Lambchop, Richard Buckner, American Music Club, and Destroyer, as well as a quality album from Camera Obscura. On top of that, they had what's possibly the comp of the year, Old Enough 2 Know Better (the DFA #2 offers quite the challenge), as well as the 15 year anniversary festival that I can't believe I missed despite having an opportunity for a ticket. All in all, it's hard to imagine them having done much better.

2 Comments:

Blogger Justin Cober-Lake said...

Now is the time on Kompakt when we dance.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home