My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Label of the Year

Primarily for my own amusement, I'm going to be handing out awards in categories I make up as I go along. Whoever gives a name to this award will receive a prize that I'll also determine later. Now to start things off...

Label of the Year: Merge Records
It's an easy call this year. They have a head-start on the field with the release of the Arcade Fire's staggering Funeral, but they backed that up with strong outings by David Kilgour (my #14 of the year), Lambchop, Richard Buckner, American Music Club, and Destroyer, as well as a quality album from Camera Obscura. On top of that, they had what's possibly the comp of the year, Old Enough 2 Know Better (the DFA #2 offers quite the challenge), as well as the 15 year anniversary festival that I can't believe I missed despite having an opportunity for a ticket. All in all, it's hard to imagine them having done much better.

3 Comments:

Blogger Quigley Quagmire said...

J'Accuse Rockism! Yes the award for stupid -ism of the year is unearthed. Are you pandering to the swaggerng maturity of the DIY aesthetic? I agree that the Merge run has been awesome but how about Kompakt which by all measures should have won for the past few years. Just becasue they are german doesn't mean they don't have feelings... oh wait... that is exactly what it means.

Nomination for award name: The "These Don't Mean Anything" of the Year

5:35 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Now is the time on Kompakt when we dance.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home