My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Sunday, January 08, 2006

21 - 24

21. The Von Bondies - Pawn Shoppe Heart
The overlooked Detroit garage band. Too basic to get the credit they deserve, the Bondies will likely be remembered more for the beating Jack White gave one of them than for their music, which I listen to more than the Stripes. If nothing else, check the hidden Otis Redding cover, which just screams.

22. Liz Janes - Poison & Snakes
I'm surprised to see this ranked higher than Castanets, whom I've definitely listened to more often and more intently. Janes does a great job blending sounds on this album and is a great example of my interest in formal experimentation within traditional genres. In my world, 2004 was apparently a great year for freakfolk and Asthmatic Kitty.

23. Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral
Meh. Impressive in its way, but it seems like something that just caught me the right way at the time, and I've pretty much kept it shelved for 2005.

24. Castanets - Cathedral
My respect for Ray Raposa's craft has continued to grow. This album was a real grower, and continues to be. This year's follow-up, First Light's Freeze hit me more immediately but faded more quickly (though I really want to spend more time with it). Spooky, spiritual, and affecting, a nice twist on folk and hymn-singing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

I really, really, really loved "C'mon C'mon", but never had a chance to hear that album - is the rest as good?

1:58 PM  
Blogger J T. Ramsay said...

Dude, you so crazy! Blue Cathedral was next level awesome in '04!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home