My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Monday, January 09, 2006

17 - 20

17. Nels Cline Singers - The Giant Pin
His other stuff, especially his live work with Wilco, continues to entertain me as well as this one. I doubt I'll ever get around to it, but he's actually interesting enough that I should track down much more of his work (with any group) and give myself an education.

18. Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner
Really? Surely I meant Showtime. That's easily the one I prefer. Unless my opinion was different a year ago or I picked this based on its grime-y importance, I think this is a mistake.

19. Wovenhand - Consider the Birds
Dark, scary, and honest. Even when in praise music, Wovenhand keeps the spiritual tied to the physical, primarily by evoking a Flannery O'Connor landscape. That tension -- which sounds like a man re-considering his conversion -- keeps this one interesting.

20. Apostle of Hustle - Folkloric Feel
I remember thinking the indie/electro/Cuban fusion was as fun as it was original, and I still kind of feel that way, but I don't think I ever took this one to heart. Every time I hear it, I enjoy it, but it's not a desert-island-type for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home