My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

13 - 16

13. Ghostface - Pretty Toney
Like Kilgour's album, this one sent me on a (far more short-lived) quest to track down Wu-Tang solo albums. This is one of the better ones, and "Run" is classic single.

14. David Kilgour - Frozen Orange
I'm pretty sure this was the album that set me down my path of Flying Nun love. For a few months after I heard this, I was buying as much of that label's catalog as I could afford and that I could get my hands on. Kilgour's the king, and this is a worthy album, even if it doesn't match up to the pop-rock genius of A Feather in the Engine.

15. Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks
Wow, I've completely forgotten about this gorgeous album. It also means maybe my Glass pick wasn't tokenist. I'm always wandering about the edge of classical, but never quite getting into it (in part because it seems like a massive undertaking). In 2004, Messiaen also got some considerable airplay in my world, but Quartet for the End of Time wasn't quite eligible for my year-end list.

16. Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
Not as good as EP and, in retrospect, more impressive than enjoyable. After one listen to this I put it away forever until a friend adamantly convinced me to give it a real listen. I had missed out, but it doesn't warrant a #16 placement. It was Stylus's album of the year, which somehow felt appropriate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

I've heard one track from Richter - "On The Nature Of Daylight" - and I've been mulling checking out that album ever since.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home