My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

9 - 12 (in which they start to get good)

09. Mountain Goats - We Shall All Be Healed
This disc was my introduction to Darnielle and it sent me scurrying for back catalogue. Even though Tallahassee comes close, I didn't think he'd top this album. Until this year, of course.

10. Nick Cave - Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus
This was some of my pre-Christmas music, and I like it even more now that then, I think, and I some point should probably write on Cave's re-consideration of the Orpheus myth, maybe alongside a reading of Rushdie's The Ground Beneath Her Feet. Get ready for love, indeed, when love's this menacing and this loaded, and still this beautiful and divine.

11. Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans
I wish his next album would be more like this one, although it seems unlikely. Maybe it's because it's sandwiched in his discography between two baroquefolk albums, but the bareness of this album really carries an impact. It feels more ... honest ... to me, and not in an "authenticity" sense, just that this feels... well, it just feels more to me.

12. Devotchka - How It Ends
I pulled this one out a while back for Mike Powell, and I'm glad I did because that reminded me how good, and how interesting this is, blending its Eastern European, Iberian, and southwest US influences with rock 'n' roll. Not knowing what I have from 1 - 8 on the list (ostensibly), #12 seems like a good spot for this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home